1. Heat the sunflower oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
2. Divide the eggplant into thirds and fry separately in batches until browned 3-5 minutes.
3. Transfer the eggplant to paper towels, drain off excess oil and put into a medium bowl to set aside. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the oil.
4. Return the pan to medium heat, add the onions and celery, and season with salt.
5. Stir often and cook until the onions begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the tomato paste and water and stir fry until caramelized and almost evaporated, 2-3 minutes.
6. Add the crushed tomatoes and continue cooking for 10 minutes.
7. Reduce the heat to low and stir in vinegar, raisins, capers, brown sugar, and chocolate, stirring occasionally until thickened, 10-15 minutes.
8. Transfer to the bowl with the eggplant and add the pine nuts, 1/2 the basil, and olive oil, tossing to combine.
9. Adjust seasonings to taste. Spoon a bite-sized amount onto each cracker and garnish with basil.